Wednesday 2 January 2013

Starting a New Year



2012 ended up being a difficult year for me and one of the things that went out of the window was my habit of blogging.  I would like to get myself back into some sharing online; - just not too sure at this stage how much sharing that will be!  Today I came across an idea that I thought was perfectly suited to me!  It is The Artful Readers Club being hosted by Darcy over at her blog Art and Soul.  I have been reading this blog for about the last year or so and have followed (not participated in) her post card challenge during that time.  So here goes, I am going to commit myself to doing this challenge!

At this stage I have chosen only six of the twelve books as I figure that more will crop up though the year.  I am also part of a local reading group and may not have time to read two books some months and will then use the book I read with that group for this challenge!  Maybe I am cheating a bit there, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do!!

I decided to do this so that I have at least one regular blog a month. I will also try to get back into blogging about my art too.  I do have an update to do about the wonderful time we had at the Woodford Folk Festival, but will do that tomorrow.  This is being posted a day late because we just got back today!  I am so tired I am actually finding it hard to string words together coherently!

This will be the first book I do and yes this is a cheat because we are reading it with our local reading group - a very loosely used label I assure you!  We call ourselves the DNR book club (Did Not Read!).  We do however have the most delightful monthly lunches!

Anyway off to bed now. Let's see how this goes!




14 comments:

Janet said...

So glad you joined us! I think reading a book per month will be very hard for me but, like you and your blogging, I will give it a go. We might like it!!

Janet xx

San @ Made in Hem said...

You'll be fine! Your reading club sounds just like my piece of cake, it's a wonderful idea to combine both! Looking forward to your Art and reviews! ♥

Darcy Marshall said...

hello and welcome, so good to have you onboard. I hope this challenge inspires you. i have read Eragon, it is much better than the film lol

I have picked up the boy in striped pjs so many times, but knowing the subject matter I kept thinking it would be sad and put it back, so I am intrigued to find out what you think of it.

Jane said...

Welcome back!!! Now, I don't care whose bookclub you belong to, but if you can commit to reading a book a month, I think thats great. Love the name of the DNR bookclub. It's all about the lunch isn't it!
Looking forward to seeing Folk Fest pics.
Jxx

Gina said...

I think the only thing that would count as cheating for Darcy's challenge is if you watched the film instead of reading the book lol. Look forward to seeing your art :D XXX

P.J. said...

Good luck with the challenge. I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on the books!

Carmen said...

My daughter recently did The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas at school and said it was really good but really sad.

Love the sound of your book club :-)

Shirley said...

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas is certainly a sad read but a book I am glad I have read. Looking forward to reading your review. All your other choices are new to me so it will be good to come back and see what you think of them.

Carmen said...

Thanks for stopping by - that was exactly my thought with the two arty books on my list. I am addicted to buying them and stroking them... need to get some learning actually done from them ;)

Jez said...

Haven't read Remains of the Day, but love the film, so I'm hoping your review will inspire me to get the book. Seen the trailer for Striped Pajamas on TV, but as it looks sad and, like you, 2012 has been a difficult year I've avoided the idea of buying the book. May be persuaded to change my mind.
I hope 2013 proves to be a better year for you, and look forward to your monthly blogs.

Maz said...

Love the name of your book club lol! And not cheating at all I think, just being clever with your time.

Jenny said...

So lovely to see you in this challenge Ali... am sure it is going to be wonderful... I used to belong to a book club many years ago... it was SO much fun... I had actually forgotten about it until I read your post... looking forward to hearing about this months book... wishing you a happy week...

Jenny ♥

laurie said...

i keep seeing that book gone girl everywhere! i can't wait to see and hear your review.

Sarah said...

I just got really excited seeing Woodford mentioned at the top of your blog - as I was born in Woodford, England. But on reading further I think your Woodford is on the other side of the world :D

Anyway, am here to talk books! I like the look of your list - and you are braver than me reading the boy with the striped PJs, I know that I wouldn't be able to see through the tears to read it

I look forward to reading your reviews and seeing your artistic interpretations....